Monday, September 3, 2012

Welcome to the NC liberal!


 
So, here we are, in the middle of a super-busy political season, and why do we need another political blog?  Well, I offer you a few of my reasons:
 
1.  Liberal politics are alive and well on the web, but here in NC, liberal blogs are hit and miss.  Currently, I'm located in Lee County, NC, and the local offerings are pretty disgusting.  We have one conservative local blog where posters claim to be the founding fathers, and another (the one that claims to be "fresh-brewed") whose author writes as if logic, reason, and evidence are not to be trusted.  Then, there's the pseudo-newspaper with the one "reporter," which always gives us a slanted version of the daily news.  So, the NC liberal is here as a kind of counterpoint. 
 
2.  The current movement towards a return to secular American values is just getting off the ground.  Leaders like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennet, Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss and many others have shown us that non-believers need to come out, organize, and participate in the public square if we want to be anything more than just a fringe group in this country.  We are a larger minority group than the Jewish lobby represents, but with nowhere near the political clout.  One of the goals of this blog will be to promote the advancement of the secular agenda.
 
3.  Let's talk about the issues!  I make you this promise:  I will never close comments on discussion just because I want the last word.  If you agree or disagree, you are welcome here.  Anonymous posting is turned on, and I will never call you a "coward" for posting anonymously, as another local blogger loves to do. 
 
 
That's it, although if I were to add a 4th reason it'd be that I love engaging others on the issues, and thought it was high time I started posting my own content, instead of just arguing with conservatives in their blogs. 
 
 
Welcome to the NC liberal.  I hope you like what you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment